Monday 8 October 2012

1890's Book

Whilst in New York City I visited the Strand Bookstore.  The top floor is where the rare, old books are kept and this is where I made this great discovery - an 1890's french children's illustrated book - Little Ray of Sunshine.

What am I going to do with this book?  Surely not collage with the original pages???

No.  At Squam in Sarah Ahearn's class I learnt a photo transfer technique which means the original book will be preserved. I would love to create a series of mixed media collages to have an exhibition with these beautiful images.








Are you wondering how much this book cost?  Well, I'll tell you but don't tell my husband, men just don't seem to understand - $30, I googled the book and to get a copy from France you can add another $100 to that price!!  I love it and it's one of the reason I wanted to go to NYC - loved the Strand Bookstore too.


5 comments:

  1. Ok- I am sooooooo jealous!!! What a great find Michelle!! I love old books!! I really need to get to that bookstore!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old books, too, Michelle! I can't wait to see the creations it inspires!

    xo, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the book when you bought it!! That was such a fun day. I am glad it will stay intact.
    Xoxox

    ReplyDelete

All comments moderated. Please leave a comment after the beep....beeeeep...